I originally wanted to begin this post with "Some things you should know about me" but that's not what I mean. What I really mean is "Some things I want to say about myself."
Here are a five things I want to say about myself and friendship:
(1) I don't use the word 'friends' lightly. It means a lot to me.
(2) I have few people in my life that I consider true friends. And I like it that way. I don't like to care about too many people at once. Wait, let me rephrase that -- I prefer to care about a few people whole-heartedly than a lot of people half-assed, which is what having a large circle of friends would cause me to do.
(3) I don't make friends easily because I don't trust easily. Just because you know my name and can make me laugh, doesn't mean we're friends. If that offends you, I doubt we ever will be.
(4) Once I make a friend, we are friends for life. I am fiercely loyal.
(5) I'm the type of friend you want to have. I won't lie to you. I will not give you advice if you don't want it. I will stand up for you, even if you never know it. We can disagree on things I consider foundational to who I am, and I will still support you; I will be in your corner, be your advocate. I will never take you for granted. I don't get offended easily and I say sorry quickly.
For some reason, this has been on my mind all day and I just wanted to get it out. So that's that.