Pages

Monday, April 30, 2012

1, 2, and 4 of 50: The Lord of the Rings Trilogy

Ok, so I set a goal at the beginning of the year to read 50 books before the year was up.

And later I amended it to be 50 books I haven't read before.  Because I could easily read Harry Potter, Hunger Games, and some other favorites and just speed through it.  I planned on reading some fantasy series, some Christian books, and some historical biographies.

My first choice was the internationally beloved Lord of the Rings Trilogy.

I'm going to try and make this short and sweet.  One, because if you really wanted to know all about it, you would've read it already.  Two, because I finished them quite a while ago and I'm just now getting around to writing about it, so I've forgotten most of it.

So here are my favorite QUOTES from the three books:

Fellowship of the Ring - "The road must be trod, but it will be very hard. And neither strength nor wisdom will carry us far upon it. This quest may be attempted by the weak with as much hope as the strong. Yet such is oft the course of deeds that move the wheels of the world: small hands do them because they must, while the eyes of the great are elsewhere." - Elrond

The Twin Towers - Apparently nothing stood out to me because I didn't dogear anything.  Oh yeah, I'm an ex-librarian and I totally dogear my books.  Scandalous.

The Return of the King - "There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him .  For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing; there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach." - Sam's thoughts

And here are MY THOUGHTS on each one:

I must preface these thoughts by telling you that I watched each movie shortly before reading the books.  It was just such a foreign world and language that I knew it would help me in understanding what I read.

Fellowship of the Ring was quite entertaining.  I really wish Tom Bombadil (sp?) would have made an appearance in the film, but overall it was good read.

The Twin Towers was BORING! I know, its an amazing classic, but even so, it took forever to read it!! It was definitely not a can't-put-it-down-stay-up-all-night-reading kind of book.  At least not for me. Just dawned on me that this is probably the reason that I don't have any favorite quotes from this book.  I was just trying to finish it, not look for all the good stuff.

Anyway...on to the last book of the Trilogy.  The Return of the King was by far my favorite of the three.  I loved all the battle scenes and the minor love stories.  I also loved how the hobbits rode back to the Shire and took it back from the bad guys who were there.

So basically, I liked the adventure, but I also think that if you don't have the time, the movies will suffice as a good representation of what was originally written.


Oh, and this post is called Books 1, 2, and 4 of 50 because I was so bored with The Twin Towers that I had to take a break and read a short book in between.  Tell you all about that one at a later post...just like I'm gonna do with the Hunger Games.  I haven't forgotten. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...