Pages

Saturday, June 9, 2012

Book 3 of 50: The Tales of Beedle the Bard by J.K. Rowling


So, I was struggling through Book 2 of the Lord of the Rings trilogy and I needed a break.  I went to our local Barnes and Noble and started roaming through the children's section.  This is my favorite section of any book store.  Not because I'm a creeper, but because they are easily the most entertaining, the most imaginative, the most memorable books you will ever read.

Lo and behold, I found a Harry Potter related book I haven't read before.  The Tales of Beedle the Bard plays a pivotal role in the finally HP book, HP and the Deathly Hallows.  It is a collection of 5 children's stories for young witches and wizards: "The Wizard and the Hopping Pot;" The Fountain of Fair Fortune;" The Warlock's Hairy Heart;" "Babbity Rabbitty and her Cackling Stump;" and "The Tale of the  Three Brothers."  As much as I would love to tell you about each story, for the sake of blog-brevity, I won't.  You're welcome. :)

I read this from cover to cover in about 20 minutes.  I was smiling and giggling the whole time.  Not necessarily because the stories were giggly, but because I just so enjoyed being in the world again.  I'm just amazed at how J.K. Rowling really did create another world of information, people, culture, and ideas.  And the icing on the cake is the commentary by Dumbledore.  That's right, Dumbledore comes back to life in this short collection of stories to teach us again! :)

It was the perfect small break I needed.  I could easily see myself reading this book to my nephews and niece in the future.  Who am I kidding? I would read it to me over and over again! :)  I definitely recommend it to HP fans and to anyone who loves children's literature.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...